Monday, November 15, 2010

It's late...

So I've been reading all evening and I got to chapter 18 (page 193)...

The recurring themes found throughout the book are excellent examples of validity... Some of the the ones that have caught my attention are:

- protecting loved ones from the pain the HIV+ women are experiencing
- going through a full circle of emotions
- issues with intimacy
- bravery, being "ready for death"
- faith and religion
- positive effects of the support group experience - relying on each other
- dislike of uncertainty - when will I die? when will I get really sick?
- discrimination, or change in relationships with friends and family; also employer


I was very moved by the last paragraph on page 164: Linda describes all the positives that came from having the disease - going to see a ballet for the first time, learning to meditate, listening to new music, etc. The resiliency these women show! Also the hopefulness and the ability to look at the positive among so much negative. I admire them tremendously!




No comments:

Post a Comment